Learn From Lisa Blog

My first Lynda.com course, now available!

Learn how to encode and publish video using prebuilt players.

Publishing Video with the Flash Platform is now live!

Last month, I jetted off to the west coast to record my first title with Lynda.com… and the finely oiled machine that is the Lynda production team already has it ready to go. This course is for beginners who want to get started publishing video on their website using Adobe’s prebuilt player solutions. I also address the video conversion process and encoding best practices, as well as adding some cool bells and whistles such as captioning and metadata.

Course Description:
In Publishing Video on the Flash Platform, Lisa Larson-Kelley demonstrates how to build a Flash video player and publish video online, without the use of custom ActionScript code. The course guides web site developers through the video publishing process in distinct projects of increasing complexity. Each project results in a fully-functional video player, embedded into an HTML page and ready to publish online. Exercise files are included with the course.

Topics Include:
Converting a video for Flash playback
Using the Adobe Media Encoder
Adding custom metadata to a video
Building a custom player with the FLVPlayback component
Embedding video in a web page
Adding navigation cue points
Publishing with Flash Media and Strobe Media Playback
Uploading files to a web server

Duration: 2.25 Hours

(If you’re not yet a member of Lynda.com, click the banner to the right to get a free 7-day trial and give it a whirl. They’ve got tutorials for anything you can imagine — all included in your monthly membership.)

Posted in: Announcements, Code Examples, Prebuilt Players, The Basics, Training

Leave a Comment (13) ↓

13 Comments

1. HeyHey_KP March 26, 2011

I watched the whole course today, very informative, easy to understand and follow along.

• Lisa March 27, 2011

Great to hear! Thank you for the feedback 🙂

2. Weispfj1 April 6, 2011

Lisa: Watched the entire course this morning! The information was useful and easy to understand. (Currently use the CS5 suite, but needed some basic help with the Media Encoder.) Thanks!

• Lisa April 6, 2011

That’s great! I like that it turned out to be a manageable length and people are able to watch it all in one sitting. 🙂 And glad you found the Adobe Media Encoder sections helpful.
      cheers // Lisa

3. Theresa Williams April 6, 2011

Awesome Course, I will now take advantage of more Lynda.com courses.

4. Steve April 11, 2011

Lisa,

I watched some of your course over at Lynda and learned some good stuff. What I don’t see among the table of contents is a section where we could learn about two things:

1. Cropping the video (not just resizing it, but cropping parts out). And…

2. Clipping the start and end points.

It seems like it should be straightforward enough, and maybe it is, but stuff often goes wrong for me, so it’s a bit of a hit and miss operation.

I think something about the “Source” and “Output” tabs throws me off. Which should I look at, how does one influence the other, and how does it play into the stuff on the right?

Was this covered at all in the course? If not, any suggestions or places where I should look?

Thank you!

–Steve

• Lisa April 11, 2011

Hi Steve!
      Glad you found some helpful info in my course!

Yes, you can certainly crop the video within Adobe Media Encoder. Under the ‘source’ tab, in the upper left corner, is a cropping tool. Once you crop to the desired dimensions, you can switch to the ‘output’ tab and change how the cropping is applied (change output size [default], add black borders, or scale the new cropped video to your current output size). I recommend the default to avoid resizing the video and degrading picture quality.

Clipping the start and end points is also possible. In both the ‘source’ tab and the ‘output’ tab, on the bottom of the scrubber bar, you’ll see ‘in’ and ‘out’ sliders. You can set those to the points you want to include. You can only set one in and one out (you can’t cut out a portion of the video, just trim the beginning and the end).

The ‘output’ tab shows you what the video will look like with the settings on the right applied (for the most part). Basically, it will show you if black bars are applied when you resize the video, if the video is stretched, etc. It won’t show you the image quality really, but it will let you double check to be sure the video doesn’t get distorted based on your settings. So the ‘output’ tab would be a good way for you to make sure you’ve got your cropping right before you encode.

I hope that helps! Lmk if you have any other questions.

cheers, // Lisa

• Steve April 12, 2011

Thank you, Lisa! This is all good information and I very much appreciate your help. I will let you know if anything else comes up. Thanks, again.

5. James Williamson April 18, 2011

Hey Lisa,

Congrats on the course going live!

• Lisa April 18, 2011

Thank you for the mentorship, and for helping to make it happen! Much gratitude.

6. Colin May 18, 2011

Hi Lisa,
    found your course on Lynda
    really great course!

wondered if there was a way to embed an Open Source Media Player into an all Flash website?
    my current website I built entirely in Flash Catalyst.
    Flash Catalyst does have its own media player but I’m looking to use a more advanced OSMF player
    within the website
    I’m assuming you would need to use
    Flash Builder in order to embed the OSMP player

any help with this is greatly appreciated

thanks!

– colin

• Lisa May 19, 2011

Hi Colin,
      Glad you found the course useful! Yes, you can certainly use OSMF to build a player into your existing Flash website. You’ll need to dive into the framework itself and integrate the OSMF classes into your existing code. There are a couple of approaches to this:

1) Start out with the Strobe source code and pull elements from the examples included there, integrating the player into your existing ActionScript code. (This won’t be as drag-and-drop easy as an FLVPlayback component, but easier than option 2:)
      2) Build an OSMF player from scratch in your existing ActionScript code. This would give you the most flexibility to build a player with only the functionality you need but would of course be more labor-intensive.

Hope this helps, and be sure to let me know how it goes!

cheers,
      // Lisa

7. bill May 15, 2012

Hi Lisa, congrats on your Lynda.com tutorial. Very informative, and easy to follow. I was hoping for a follow up on your Dynamic Video Playlist Template you posted on Adobe.com. Thank you so much for the playlist template as I’m trying to customize replay and shuffle buttons that work with your template, but I keep getting errors. I’ve watched nearly every tutorial on AS3 on Lynda.com, & VTC.com, and purchased a like amount of books including your’s (“Flash Video for Professionals”), and your playlist template was the only one that actually worked for me. I’ve got the buttons to work using mouse events for the buttons by themselves, but I get errors including a flickering tileList when I test the movie using your .FLV sample template. I’ve included a button layer, and actions layer for the shuffle/replay action script using your template as the packages in the top of your template won’t run when embedded in the actions layer and have to be imported using an .AS file.

I’ve tried this action script for my shuffle button:

shuffle_Btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,shuffle);
    function shuffle(event:MouseEvent):void {
    var RandomFrame = Math.ceil(math.random()*myVid.length);
    play (RandomFrame);
    trace(“test of my shuffle mouse evt code”);
    }

trace(“end of playlist reached”);
    };
    function getRandomVideo() {
    return myArray.splice(Math.floor(Math.random()*myArray.length),
    — 1)[0];
    }
    your action script plays only the first video in the playlist after which I get a bunch of errors, the other scripts don’t play, but result in a bunch of errors, plus I don’t know where in your template the additional action script would fit. I’ve tried adding it in behind the Complete Event Listener you provided in your sample autoplay video sequence action script template:

myVid.addEventListener(VideoEvent.COMPLETE, vidComplete);

to no avail. I get similar errors for the repeat button .AS. Can you please help as everything I’ve tried, I run into errors.

Also, is there an action script alphabet as every tutorial I’ve watched or read, everyone uses similar action script, but no two tutorials use the same code and it’s a bit confusing to combine or infer information from two tutorials on similar topics from the same tutor, let alone two different tutors, even from your Dynamic Playlist template on Adobe.com and your Flash Video for Professionals book on p147 in chapter 7 on Dynamic Playlists. It’s close but it’s not the same even if the topics overlap. It’s like trying to piece together a 100,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, some pieces are close but ultimately it’s not the exact fit you need to complete the puzzle.

bill