Learn From Lisa Blog

Alyssa Milano weighs in on HLS streaming?

Alyssa Milano passes misinformation to the masses

In an unlikely twitter exchange this weekend, hollywood starlet Alyssa Milano raised some hackles in the developer community by tweeting this link-baiting article on ArsTechnica. The article claimed that Adobe was bowing to Apple by planning HLS streaming support in an upcoming version of Flash Media Server, as I noted in a previous post.

When she received more than a few comments about the slant of the article she linked to, she handled it with diplomacy by linking to Robert Reinhardt’s in-depth analysis of the new technology and what it means for developers and content producers.

And then balanced it out with analysis from @flashfreaker

Kudos to Alyssa for listening and for using her “influence” for presenting both sides. Oh, and hopefully she’ll be sending @flashfreaker a couple of bucks to cover his hosting this month.

Posted in: HTML5, Social Media, The Basics, Web Video News

Leave a Comment (16) ↓

15 Comments

1. Eric Fickes April 18, 2011

Big ups to @AntonioHolguin for getting tweeted by @Alyssa_Milano. LIKE A BOSS!

2. Joseph Labrecque April 18, 2011

The best part is that she brought Robert’s server to it’s knees!

Honestly though, kudos to her for actually responding to us and posting the link that Antonio and I sent along. I never expected a response, nevermind a “clarification” offering Robert’s article as requested. Well done!

3. Lisa April 18, 2011

Yes, I was impressed. Though how closely do you and @AntonioHolguin follow her to have caught this tweet? 😉

• Joseph Labrecque April 18, 2011

Saw someone else tweeting about her tweet earlier that day. Did not even know who she was before yesterday.

• Antonio Holguin April 21, 2011

I have been following her on Twitter for some time. When I got up on Sunday and saw that link, I felt compelled to say something. Then it turned into craziness. 😉

• Lisa April 21, 2011

Funny how things can just get a life of their own when 1.5 million+ followers are involved. 🙂

4. John Dowdell April 18, 2011

I’d like to stick up for Alyssa Milano here… she has had a long history of working within Internet culture despite receiving celebrity abuse. She’s a pioneer.

Ars Technica does have a better overall reputation than some of its individual articles would warrant. I’m sorry she touched on such a sore spot for so many of us, but would give her a pass on this one… even if she *is* a Dodgers fan…. 😉

jd/adobe

• Lisa April 18, 2011

Agreed. Definitely giving her props for being balanced here. And Ars Technica is usually more balanced (relatively) than the article in question is, as well. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, and with a large audience comes large responsibility. Good to see level heads prevailing.

• Joseph Labrecque April 19, 2011

I was initially kinda mean to her and feel badly after she responded so amiably. Just figured she was a marketing bot!

5. Robert Reinhardt April 18, 2011

Just an update that, while I don’t anticipate another rush of 1600 simultaneous requests for any of my blog posts in the future, I’ve moved my blog to another server that should be able to handle 10x or more the traffic received on Sunday. 😛

Thanks Lisa for chronicling this drama. It made an otherwise relaxed Sunday an exciting and panicky Sunday.

• Lisa April 18, 2011

I’ll bet you were a bit surprised! Great post, though, high value/low hype. Thanks for posting (and re-hosting) 🙂

6. Scott Janousek April 18, 2011

Not sure how Alyssa Milano “weighs in on HLS streaming?” by posting a link … where’s the commentary? 😉 Anyways, it was fun while it lasted … except for maybe poor Robert and for little Sunday he had. 😉

-sj

7. Scott Janousek April 18, 2011

Ah. I missed the question mark. I guess this pos title works after all. lol.

8. flashfreaker April 18, 2011

@Scott Depends on how you look at it re: little Sunday. It was a GREAT Sunday for me! Excitement, sunshine outside that I got to enjoy. Sheeeat, I even mowed the backyard with our eco friendly electric mower. Yeee haw!

• Lisa April 18, 2011

Sunshine? In Portland! It *was* a special day!